Monday, October 5, 2009

The John Ricksen Fan Club



We are still at the hospital with John, and he continues to make great progress!


Since he's been here, John has been constantly surrounded by family. He gets daily visits from his cousins to play games - The "Stuart" Game, Crazy Eights and Go Fish being some of his favorites. You can hear the laughter down the hall when they are here. He's also had his Grandma and Grandpa up from Southern California. Grandma Judy brings him daily Jamba Juices while Grandpa Jim has been the perfect bed side companion. Sometimes, when John is resting, we'll return to the room to find Grandpa Jim asleep, too!


The highlight of John's weekend was when members of the Cal basketball team, Jerome Randle, Omondi Amoke, Bak Bak, and Mark Curi came by for a surprise visit on Friday afternoon. They are John's idols, and the smile on his face when he saw them was priceless. They brought a signed basketball from the entire team. The most special moment was when Jerome gave John his lucky game shorts. I was just relieved they were clean. In all seriousness, Jerome and the basketball team have been such a huge part of my boys' lives and Mike and I will forever be grateful for their kindness.


Saturday was game day - Cal vs USC. A signed football was delivered in the morning from the Cal team. Javid Best sent a Cal hat with a personalized note for John. Even Oski was thinking about John, as you can see from the picture above. John didn't let Cal's loss get him down - he remains a loyal fan. I'm not sure I can say the same about Grandpa Jim.


Sunday was Mike's and my twelve year anniversary. It took a team to make it happen, but Mike and I were actually able to go down the street for a nice dinner (thank you Jane, mom & dad and the John Ricksen family!). I could only laugh as Mike picked me up from the hospital dressed in flip flops, pajama bottoms and a sweatshirt with no make up. Seeing me, I'm not sure Mike fell in love all over again. But I knew the day I married him that he was going to be the most devoted husband and father, and he shows me daily that I was right. I'm so lucky to have him by my side.


John had another round of chemo on Friday and seems to be handling it like a champ. He still has an amazing appetite and has kept his wicked sense of humor. He is napping a bit more than usual, but that is to be expected. There has been a lot of talk about him going home this week. This is sooner than anticipated, but we are anxious to get him reunited with Jimmy and Caroline. We know there is still a lot to learn and many changes ahead of us. We are up to the challenge, thanks in a large part to your support!


14 comments:

  1. Joe HendersonOctober 06, 2009

    John... WOW...you have an amazing Fan Club... we are still your biggest fans!! Can't wait to see you so you show us your special signed balls and shorts. Maybe you can ask Oski to make a sign that says "get better bears". : )
    Say hi to Jillian. We are rooting for you always. much love, henderson's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John - I'm a friend of your aunt and uncle (Geoff and Kelly). And I'm a huge Cal fan. I graduated from Cal in 1990. They will find a way to win more games this year, I'm sure. Javid Best will turn on his magic and show us some of his best moves yet.

    I'm glad to hear that your sickness is "very treatable and very beatable" - that's awesome.

    Keep up your healthy habits (like following sports, playing hard, learning things in school, surfing, living well, eating well and following the doctors' advice) and keep on rooting for the Bears. They need your support!

    BTW - I'll bet you could be a Cal Bear student. Freshman class of 2019 or 2020! That would be cool. Football games at Strawberry Canyon (Memorial Stadium) and basketball games at Newell Gym (Harmon Gym when I was there).

    Go Bears!

    P.S. My son Ryder is 7-years-old, too, and he's getting his tonsils out in early November. I'm hoping that he'll be as brave as you are - with all the "pokies" and treatment stuff.

    Take care - Phil D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John - My husband and I are very good friends with Uncle Geoff and Aunt Kelly and my parents, Judi & Harold, are friends with your grandparents.

    We wish you all the best in recovery and our thoughts are with you!

    Lots of big hugs,

    Cind & Brent McFaul

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly HarringtonOctober 06, 2009

    Johnny, I love the new pictures!!!! I'm glad to see your big smile. Look at all your gear.... john you are so loved and i cant wait to see you again soon. Your Uncle Geoff has already bought you your own super big headphones. you should be getting them soon. We love you John John and think of you everyday :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Mike and Mollie.

    Just like everyone else, we were completely undone upon hearing of Johnny's illness. Then we were overjoyed to know that his prognosis is so good and that he is handling his treatments like a champ. The pictures are wonderful and warm our hearts!

    We know first hand how strong the power of prayer is, and we hope your entire family is basking in the vast amounts of love amd prayers being sent your way. Friends and family are everything, and you are lucky to have an abundance of both to help you through this difficult time. How many kids have multiple teams and stadiums full of people rooting for them?! Johnny will be back in the stands before you know it. We're just so sorry all of you have to go through the ordeal.

    Happy belated anniversary. Mollie, Mike has probably never loved you more than he did when you appeared in flip-flops and jammies!

    Love to the entire family,
    Bobbo and Jane Walker

    ReplyDelete
  6. John,
    You are a trooper, little man! We know both your Uncle Geoff and Aunt Kelly and your Uncle John and Aunt Jillian. Your cousin, Jake, and our son, AJ, have been on some hoops teams together. Your cousin, William (we call him WILL-I-AM) and our daughter, Owyn are in 1st grade together.
    I have to say I was quietly rooting for the Cal Bears on Saturday, even though I was in a room full of Trojans. I still think Cal is better:)
    In any case, we are thrilled to be a part of your 'team' and rooting big time for you.
    xoxo, The Stefanos (Robert, Amy, AJ, Owyn, and Bode)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey john,
    How lucky are you to have all that great Cal gear signed by the guys on the team. I guess your fan club is growing each day. There are alot of people hoping that you will get better soon. Before you know it the entire Cal football stadium will be filled with Johnny Ricksen fans.
    Get better soon.
    Slammer

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pam SargeantOctober 06, 2009

    John~
    You are one amazing seven year old! I can't wait to meet you someday and challenge you to a game of Farkel! I am friends with your Aunt Jillian, Uncle John and Aunt Kelly from Newport Beach. My son Nic plays basketball with your cousin Charlie (who is a great shooter by the way). We are all thinking of you and praying for your quick recovery. You and your entire extended family are an inspiration to us all! With love, the Sargeant Family

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nicholas WongOctober 08, 2009

    Dear Johnny: I went to my first Cal football game at Berkeley. I made my dad buy me Cal clothes. I loved my Cal T-Shirt so much that I wore it for three days. My dad says it's lucky that I don't smell yet, like Zach does. He has to wear deoderant under his arm pits. I went with Joe Henderson, and he showed me lots of things I never saw before. Like the big yellow and blue "C" that was painted on the grass. Hope you're feeling better. We started basketball practice this week, and out team is really good. It's not great, but that's only because we don't have you back yet. I want to try out to be the Center, just like Yao Ming. I may only go up to his knees, but I think I can be tough like him. See you soon. Your friend, Nicholas

    ReplyDelete
  10. Johnny Ricksen!!! So great you are doing well! What a super star! The Fellners are thinking of you and can't wait to see that smiling face of yours! You are always in our thoughts and prayers!
    xothe fellners

    ReplyDelete
  11. Johnny, The Bertea Family has been following your brave fight! We are so glad that you are back at home. You are in our hearts and prayers every night. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Johnson Family - Steve, Caroline, Ashlyn, Emily and ElyseJanuary 07, 2010

    Johnny and Family,

    You don't me but I went to junior high school and a little bit of high school with your Uncle Geoff & have been involved in charity work with your Aunt Jillian so we were happy to support Team Johnny Ricksen at Dribble-for-the-Cure.

    My family and I keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers. And we just wanted you to know that. :) We are honored to be part of your Fan Club.

    xoxo

    Caroline (Lyon) Johnson & husband Steve (ASU Sundevils!), daughters Ashlyn, Emily & Elyse

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kathy HamiltonJanuary 19, 2010

    Hi John, We think about you everyday and are so proud of how brave you are and of the progress you are making. You know, a lot of grownups are not as strong as you are and that could make you get well even faster. Your Mommy and my daughter, Kate, grew up together, so you are really special to me even though we don't really know each other. I do love you and your family and am cheering you on to get well real soon. xoxo, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Johnny,
    I love you so much. You are so strong. You are going to be the tuffest person i will ever know. I keep you in my prayers.

    love your cousin,
    kelly

    ReplyDelete