Sunday, November 8, 2009

Back to the Hospital


I thought I would be updating the blog more often, but I've found myself immersed in family life. I'm surprised by how much I've enjoyed the simple things about our daily routine. John and I have found a comfortable groove and our days have been busy. I worked with Caroline on her book report and was very proud of our end result. Jimmy finished up his Fall baseball season and is enjoying CYO basketball with Mike as coach. Even though things seems to be settling into a nice routine, they are never predictable. John and I spent most of Friday at Childrens with a clot in his Broviac line.

John was back at Childrens last Monday and Tuesday for treatment and an overnight visit. It was the first time we had been admitted as inpatients since our original hospitalization. We checked into the same exact room that we had stayed in last time. It almost felt like home as I cozied up in my window seat with views of the Berkeley Hills. We had an endless stream of visits from the doctors and nurses that had cared for John during our previous stay. It's no surprise to us that John had made quite an impact on these people. We also got great results from the prior week's scans and x-rays. The doctors couldn't be more pleased with John's progress -- the medicine is doing it's job!

When John was released from the hospital, he got to attend a basketball clinic at the Warriors practice facility hosted by the Nicholas Colby Fund. Since John had just undergone his treatment, he was not able to participate as much as he had hoped. But, Mike quickly turned John's disappointment into hope as he pointed out that all the other kids on the court were further along or done with their treatments. John realized that he too would be back on the basketball court one day.

Lamont Gilbert, the father of Nicholas, came over to spend time with Mike and John. He gave John box tickets to the next Warrior's game. John came home on top of the word....and I crossed my fingers that he would feel up for going. As luck would have it, he did! We spent an amazing night at the game with five of John's closest friends and their dads. It gave me such joy to be together as a family and watch John get to be a normal 7 year old boy.




9 comments:

  1. Dear Mollie, Mike, John, Jimmy and Caroline,

    How wonderful to know that all is progressing so positively. Loved the picture of you all at the Warriors game.

    Roger and I are going to Kona for a wedding over the weekend. We get to swim with the dolphins which is a big thrill for me.

    Thinking of all of you. We had a great weekend with Adam in SLO and got to see Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull.

    Love, Candy, Roger and Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Johnny,
    So glad to hear that you enjoyed your night out at the Warriors game.
    I check your blog a lot and I was so happy to see an update. My kids ask about you when they see me at the computer. We are all rooting for John!

    WIth love,
    Carrie, Mike and boys

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear,John It's so great to see you having so much FUN! I can't wait see you again.Keep on rocking John! Love,WillHaughey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi John,
    Great pics. Awesome update but that clot sucks. Mollie, I'll say it again, you are Super Mom. Mike, don't hesitate to call. Elizabeth and I are only a few minutes away from Children's if you need us.
    Keep on smiling John.
    Simo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Mollie, Mike, John, Jimmy and Caroline
    We were so sorry to learn about John's health. Although it is a difficult time for all of you, it is so nice to see that you have such wonderful support of family and friends. Children are amazingly resilient. This is what has always keep me going with our continued health issues.
    Mollie, I loved what you wrote about your second stay at Children's and feeling so at home. After 11 years at Stanford the doctors and nurses are truly like family to us.
    Please know that we are here to support you in any way and will keep you in our prayers.

    With love,
    The Combi's

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ricksens,

    We send all of our love and support to you. You are a wonderful family.

    xoxo
    Kia Conn and family

    ReplyDelete
  7. Johnny, I loved being with you at the Warriors game! We had great seats. I am glad you are feeling well. I wish I could see you more. I hope the Bears beat Stanford this weekend. Happy Thanksgiving early. love, Joe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicholas WongNovember 17, 2009

    Dear Johnny:

    I have been practicing a new skill: seeing the future. I've discovered it's really hard as I wasn't able to predict how the Warriors got beat so bad when we went to see them against the Clippers. Still, in my head, I could see that regardless of the score, we were going to have a great "time out" just hanging out with you. In practicing seeing the future last night, I'm happy to report this is what I saw. I was a TV reporter on ESPN, and I could see myself saying....

    "Good evening everyone, this is Nicholas Wong reporting to you from this evening's edition of Sports Center. Johnny "Juke Me Out Of My Socks" Ricksen has reportedly signed a multi-year deal with the Golden State Warriors. As you all know, Ricksen was the most sought-after free agent in the NBA in the off-season, as who doesn't need a championship-caliber point guard? After leading the league in assists, steals, and fg and ft percentages, and leading the Knicks to their first play-off appearance in 25 years, Ricksen could have had his pick of contenders. Instead, Ricksen opted to go home to a Warriors team who showed him their love when he was a 7 year old little boy. "I remembered what they did for me when I was feeling down, and how great they treated me and my friends. Now, it's time to pay them back, as well as for all of the faithful Warriors fans who are always stuck with either whiners or thugs. It's time for a new basketball dynasty to begin in Oakland. If I can just get Matt Meredith to leave the Celtics, convince Bennett Millham to dump the Lakers, remind Reed Callister that the Timberwolves play in Minnesota, brrrr, and tell Joe Henderson we'll give him a bigger locker than the Heat, we'll almost have all of our pieces for a championship run." "Almost," asked another reporter. "Well, yeah. I still can't believe my college teammate likes baseball better. I mean, c'mon, 162 games in the sun, in Arizona, versus half those games in air-conditioned arenas. And on top of that, a ESPN broadcaster the off-season. Nicholas Wong, if you can hear me, come back before you lose your jump shot!"

    Since I'm still not that good yet at seeing the future, none of this may come true. But if anyone can do it, it'd be you. Still, it was fun to see it in my head!

    Take care,

    Nicholas

    ReplyDelete